Electrical Engineer I
Summary: The Electrical Engineer I is responsible for system-level electrical design, test, and troubleshooting for Light Measurement and Uniform Source Products. In this role you will design and integrate all types of light sources, detectors, power supplies, and controls to create test equipment for use in many industries including automotive, imaging, consumer electronics, lighting, and space/satellite. You will work within a cross-functional engineering and operations team to bring products to market and support their sustained production in accordance with defined project objectives.
Essential Job functions
- Supports development of system level electrical requirements and develops conceptual architecture, functional block diagrams, and designs.
- Designs electro-optical systems consisting of custom PCBs, power supplies, light sources, measurement equipment, cables and harnesses, and commercially available components.
- Develops system schematics and wiring diagrams.
- Executes electrical design analysis, including power, timing, and thermal.
- Executes detailed design of system componentry including PCBs, components required to meet functional performance specifications.
- Power system design for DC Low Voltage, and single and three phase AC.
- Signal and controls design using I2C, USB, serial.
- Regulatory and safety compliant design in accordance with CE, IPC, UL standards. Prepare test plans, procedures, and reports.
- Documents designs and components thoroughly to enable repeatable manufacturing and meet ISO9001:2000 requirements.
- Assembles and evaluates custom products, including wiring, testing, and updating product documentation.
- Executes product test and troubleshooting. Applies design, debug, and troubleshooting skills for hands-on problem solving and root cause analysis using various electrical test equipment including oscilloscopes, DMMs, power analyzers, and logic/spectrum analyzers.
- Participate in selection and resourcing of electrical components and component suppliers.
- Motion Control design, servo and stepper specification and control systems.
- Sets up test equipment and conducts tests on performance and reliability of standard and custom product.
- Analyzes and converts test data, using mathematical formulas, proposing corrective actions as needed.
- Performs preventative and corrective maintenance of test apparatus and peripheral equipment.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or electrical engineering technology with 0-4 years of relevant experience.
- Experience developing system level products and working on integrated cross-functional development teams.
- Ability to design and analyze electrical circuits, schematics, and PCB layouts (Altium experience preferred, Solidworks experience is a plus).
- Ability to use common metering instruments, such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, logic analyzers, and spectrum analyzers.
- Familiarity with CE, UL, and other regulatory requirements.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor to deal with internal and external contacts, including customers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to work effectively in a multitask environment under deadlines.
- Proven ability to meet challenges that lie beyond the current position description and learn to solve problems creatively.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite of programs, including MS Word, MS Outlook, MS Teams, MS PowerPoint, and MS Excel required.
- Cleanroom compatible design experience is a plus
- Vacuum and space compatible design experience is a plus
- Experience with software including the use of spreadsheets, databases, graphs and word processing. Experience with LabView, Python, C++, and C# is a plus.
- Ability to work on ITAR restricted projects.
Positions open for entry level (will train) as well as experienced candidates.
Essential Job Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities
- Using computer, access work orders, work instructions, bills of materials, blueprints, and other required documentation
- Read work orders, follow work instructions and/or sample assemblies, or follow verbal instructions regarding work to be performed
- Assemblers are responsible for producing conforming components that meet all build procedures and work instruction.
- Assemblers are responsible for inserting and cleaning fiber optic fanouts.
- Cleanliness and preservation of components must be maintained along with the final appearance of the component.
- All SOP’s and WI’s must be followed and a safe, clean and organized work area must be maintained.
- Assemblers will be required to wear PPE equipment including but not limited to gloves and a face mask.
- Build simple and increasingly complex mechanical assemblies according to written procedures, blueprints and/or verbal instructions
- Position and align parts in specified relationship to each other in jig, fixture, or other holding device.
- Use common manual and power tools to perform assembly tasks.
- Crimp, stake, screw, bolt, rivet, solder, cement, press fit or perform similar operation to join or secure parts in place
- Assemble and attach hardware such as glass fibers cables, caps, clamps, knobs and switches to assemblies
- Inspect previous work, as well as own while performing these tasks, to ensure quality
- Utilizing Labsphere’s continuous improvement process, employees will be required to contribute to the improvement of any and all processes where they see the need for change.
- The employee will be required to maintain good housekeeping, safety, and organizational habits.
- The employee will be required to wear appropriate attire.
Coatings and Materials Engineer
Summary: Develop the next generation of proprietary optical coatings and materials for a wide range of applications and emerging industries. Growth opportunities in this role offers the chance to develop products, processes, and a laboratory and team.
Role: In this role, the candidate will develop and maintain coating and material composition, define manufacturing processes and application procedures required to achieve consistent, high-yield products. The candidate should be driven to continuous improvement in performance, efficiency, and cost reduction, while maintaining world-class quality. This role requires a high degree of hands-on testing and development work, and interaction with the manufacturing technicians and testing staff.
Qualifications: This position requires a creative thinker with a positive, can-do attitude that constantly drives to understand the performance of the materials and develop new materials for advanced applications.
Willing to hire recent grads with pertinent experience. The ideal candidate would have 3+ years of engineering experience in a business or academic environment, developing materials and the associated production and application processes. Candidates must be self-motivated to develop a deep understanding of the composition and performance of reflective coatings including PTFE and BaSO4 based materials.
An understanding of materials science, materials processing, process engineering, and/or chemistry is needed to be able to modify and create the chemical constituents required to produce a series of reflective coatings with predictable properties.
Education: BS/MS/PhD in Engineering, Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry
2nd Shift Machinist / Supervisor
Looking for machinists to work with great products and equipment in a team environment. Potential to become supervisor.
This shift works 4 10-hour days (Mon-Thurs).
The individual in this position is expected to be proficient or trainable in set-up, programming and operating machine tools specific to Labsphere’s machine shop to fabricate metallic and non-metallic parts in a team environment. It is expected that this individual will be capable of working without close supervision after training, able to prioritize own work to meet customer due dates and inspect own product output to ensure quality. The individual in this position must be able to manufacture parts from blueprints and/or CAD models.
- Reads blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals and specifications to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished part, sequence of operations, and setup and tooling requirements. Demonstrates basic set-up and thought process for sequence of operations.
- Measures, marks, and scribes dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides for the lay out of subsequent machining.
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, and/or any other Labsphere machine equipment.
- Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
- Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining, and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
- Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications, using the appropriate measuring equipment. Understands how, or able to learn, to use optical comparator height gauge, sine plate, indicators, micrometers, verniers, depth mics, bore gauges, etc.
- Verifies dimensions by using inspection equipment such as micrometers, verniers, gage pins pitch micrometers, etc.
- Sets up and operates machine on test run to verify accuracy of machine settings. Updates program to latest revision for pre-programmed parts as needed.
- Meets standard times on routers and reports to supervisor when deviating from standard time.
- Reports to supervisor any conflict or problem that will interrupt the flow of work in the Machine Shop work environment.
- Follows Labsphere’s safety policy in the machining area.
- Confers with immediate supervisor or other machinists if supervisor is unavailable to resolve machining problems.
- Employee will be required to use Labsphere’s paperless time keeping terminal to log tome against open work orders. The employee will also be required to job on and off at breaks as well as complete transactions to transfer part to inventory or out-plant.
- Utilizing Labsphere’s continuous improvement process, employees will be required to contribute to the improvement of any and all machine shop processes.
- The employee will be required to maintain good housekeeping, safety, and organizational habits. At the end of each work shift the employee is required to clean his/her machine and the immediate floor area around the machine. Employee will be required to clean on a rotating basis with other employees, other areas of the shop and machinery that are less susceptible to chip build-up but do require less frequent cleaning. (ex. cutoff saws) All community tooling should be placed back in its proper storage location for the next person’s use.
- Other duties as assigned.
General Requirements (Education, Experience, Attributes of Successful Candidate)
- High school diploma or equivalent. Associates degree from a Technical College preferred. Previous experience in a machine shop a plus.
- Ability to work independently from a set of instructions.
- Ability to effectively perform all of the above mentioned essential job functions.
Competitive wages, great benefits!
(UMR United Healthcare, Eyemed vision, Delta dental, 14 weeks full paid Parental Leave for men or women who become parents via birth or adoption, 10 paid holidays, paid vacation and paid personal time off, training and tuition reimbursement, free-to-you paid short and long term disability, free-to-you paid life insurance, shoe and clothing allowances, safety eyewear allowances, employer matched 401K, monthly fitness benefit, AFLAC plans)
Come work for a growing, innovative, fast-paced company
UMR / United Healthcare HRA, HSA, PPO
Dental and Vision
Delta Dental and Eyemed vision
Parental Leave for Both Parents
14 weeks fully paid leave for men and women
Paid Time Off
Holidays, Vacation, Personal Days
Company Paid Life Insurance
Options to purchase spouse/child coverage
Company Paid Disability
Short and long term coverage, free to you
Stay healthy, earn $$$
Incentives and Bonuses
Available for all employees at all levels
401K Matching & Profit Sharing
We contribute to your financial planning
Develop your skills, we’ll pay
Balance your work/life responsibilities
Find work that ILLUMINATES you
Labsphere’s Diversity and Inclusion Policy
Labsphere is proud to be part of the Halma Group of companies, where we work to provide a safer, cleaner, healthier future for everyone, every day. In order to achieve this goal, we strive to be supportive and inclusive of everyone’s individual needs, while fostering our environment so everyone feels valued, respected and supported to fulfil their potential.
We believe everyone should have the right to feel welcome at work, while being supported to show their true authentic self, without fear or consequence. Inclusion at Labsphere allows us to connect diverse perspectives and unleash the full potential of our employees, partners, and our business as a whole.
Labsphere’s mission is to help others Unleash the Power of Light, and we want to achieve that by empowering our employees in creating an inclusive work environment where everyone can freely contribute their own unique visions, talents, viewpoints, ideas and capabilities.
We are making positive strides towards our goals, but we know there is always room for improvement. All of Labsphere’s stakeholders, including employees, customers and commercial partners are encouraged to help us to find new opportunities for improvement and work together with us to realize our vision of an inclusive business.
Come work for a growing, innovative, fast-paced company!
Labsphere is a world-leading photonics and light measurement company with a rich 40+ year history. We have a strong and diverse team at our headquarters in New Hampshire as well as our remote offices in the US, Europe and Asia.
Labsphere is always seeking new members for our team. If you have specific skills and attributes that you feel would be a good fit with what we do, please send your resume to email@example.com
Read below some of our employees’ comments from our 2023 Engagement Survey.
Your feedback is valued
We have the ability to take ownership and responsibility of tasks…We have the independence and there is trust in employees to get their work done… I love that I’ve had the opportunity to implement my ideas in our business…Our company provides the freedom to do my work…I can be innovative, decisive, self confident and at the same time accountable about my actions.
Inclusive and Diverse
Labsphere has a positive culture and I enjoy collaborating/working with my colleagues…The team is like family…Labsphere has a strong brand and is a respected company which makes you proud to work here…Leadership is authentic and not autocratic…There are equal opportunities for all employees…The working environment is nice and very friendly.
Get exposure to new technologies
Our work contributes to meaningful science and positive global change…I enjoy the innovation and cooperation with my peers…Thanks to the extremely wide range of products we manufacture and sell, we get to deal with different customers involved in different applications, and that is something very valuable.
Find Works that excites you. Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
It is especially helpful that the managers are very communicative with their own departments and make themselves available for questions or any additional training needed.
The company has a clear path on where they want to head and seem to be realistic with goals for the future of the company.
A spirit of collaboration when it comes to getting things done quickly and effectively. They have been the best people to work with in my entire career. And flexibility to work from home (even before the pandemic).
The best thing about the company is that it is comprised of a comprehensive team, good leadership, a clear vision and respect for the employees!